Instead of sharing this, I nearly wrote a post titled, “Bye Felicia- Summing Up 2016!” But, regardless of the struggles we hurdled in 2016, 2017 is full of promise (miracles, rainbows, glitter, champagne and all the best!). The key to a strong march into the new year relies solely on you – just you….and your ability to get lit enough to blaze trails, light the way for others, and illuminate your own path forward!
Sure I know what it means in modern times to “get lit.” But, to be clear – I am going to blend the traditional meaning and the modern day slang so we can all be clear. Going forward, not only in 2017, but until you have worn out your welcome in your body and in this world, it is your job to get yourself lit every single day. Every. Single. Day.
Getting lit means to get absolutely high – elevating yourself, your game, your hustle, and your impact on the world. Getting your life lit means to live brilliantly, confidently, and as fulfilled as possible. I am lit when I am unhindered by low-level noise and I am dancing out my daily.
“For every item that carries the darkness of humanity there’s one that holds the light. And that light is worth believing in. Not just in others, but in yourself as well.”
― C.M. Rayne
If you are currently not living lit, join the club – many of us have lost sight of what a really lit life looks like. We have been taught for a long time to find people and things that make us happy and attain those things. We have been indoctrinated by our TVs, telephone, and computers that stuff will surely fulfill us. Wrong again.
So, we will be breaking a few rules and making a few of our own. You down?
Just like with nature, most lights are created by rub – a little burn – friction. Rub off the idea that there is some reward in suffering, in giving ourselves away, and in living low to lift everyone else up. Love yourself – really. Truly, madly, deeply.
I hereby give you permission to do things you really love, make time for yourself, be a priority and feed your soul. You want to take an hour to paint, write, meditate, run, lift weights, bake or anything else that feeds your soul. Do it! Everyday martyrdom is for chumps. No, I am not saying you have to be a narcissistic, self-centered, boob. I am saying you MUST make time to feed your soul – nobody else will do that for you.
This is your journey and your job. Getting and staying lit means you will be living a better life and sending the message to others that you value yourself enough to live that kind of life. In turn, others learn to live lit too. I might add, you do not have a single excuse to do anything else other than live your very big life. Not a single one.
Like any other change, this is easy to do once or twice – but habitually staying in the flow with your creative spirit can get washed away with the busyness, the needs of others so be habitual and stay inspired.
So it seems simple, right? It is. So simple, in fact, that it is easy to forget. So here are some keys to keeping that incredible fire burning:
- Love yourself. You absolutely cannot get off the ground without a sincere, non-egocentric self love.
- Get really, really, really grateful. Write down all you are grateful for on a regular basis (especially when you do not feel like it). Really. On paper. With a pen. Do it.
- Get some good ideas going. Tear a piece of paper off so you know if they are ultimately not the best ideas, they can go in the trash. Write on a napkin if you like, but use your brainstorming muscle. New promotion at work, write ten ideas to maximize it. Challenges with the fam, three things to get off the strugglebus. Simple.
- Get your body moving, this will kick-start your brain into new ideas, a different routine, etc. Sometimes your body has to start…to get your life to follow.
- Make room for quiet. Put your phone away. Take a walk. Use headphones and whitenoise. I mean it. You have a beautiful soul currently being railroaded by all of the static electricity in your mind…and life. Find a way to connect with it. Really want to be hard core? Meditation. Breathe, connect, unravel your knot.
- Find your tribe; people you like, people you want to be like, people you don’t like but want to understand more. No excuses. Find them and hang out with them – in real life. Be there. Listen to them. Learn from them. Stretch yourself. You will be shocked how their lives will guide yours. On days your flicker is low, these will be the people to light you up.
- Create something, just get started. Write in your journal. Don’t like to write? Draw. Don’t like the smell of pencils? Dance. You get it. Get creative. Do it with the intention of the end forming itself, instead of the entire end result in mind. This is your space.
- Do not leave any area of your life unturned – especially the challenging areas. Just look really honestly at the good, bad, and ugly and know that they are still up for change, lessons, and growth. Dream about them, pray about them, and then let God do what God does best.
- Stay inspired. I use my phone but you can use a newspaper, books, stone tablets, whatever. I love to support others, write, and develop content. I love hair, makeup, fashion, and home decor, so I love to keep tabs on trends through tech (YouTube, Bloglovin, Instagram, online tech forums). Find a way to fan your flame. Keep learning and growing!
- Lastly, and most importantly, learn how to return. When things do not go the way you want, learn how to breathe through it. Learn how to glean the lessons and let the rest loose. This will be personal to each of you. Find what works, but fail forward and keep getting lit. Living high will buoy you to more positive thinking, better results and an altogether happier life.
Farewell 2016, I cannot wait to see what 2017 has in store!
Loving my Lit Life!